The seven EEF recommendations for teaching metacognition:
1. Teachers should acquire the professional understanding and skills to develop their pupils’ metacognitive knowledge.
2. Explicitly teach pupils metacognitive strategies, including how to plan, monitor, and evaluate their learning.
3. Model your own thinking to help pupils develop their metacognitive and cognitive skills.
4. Set an appropriate level of challenge to develop pupils’ self-regulation and metacognition.
5. Promote and develop metacognitive talk in the classroom.
6. Explicitly teach pupils how to organise and effectively manage their learning independently.
7. Schools should support teachers to develop knowledge of these approaches and expect them to be applied appropriately.