Denise Fox, headteacher of Fulham Cross Girls' School in south-west London, received the lifetime achievement award at the Tes Schools Awards 2018.
Here, she outlines five things that have motivated her during her long career.
Tes awards: Best practice in maths
Tes awards: Best practice in international projects
Tes awards: Best practice for inclusive AP
1. "Effective teaching in the classroom, on a daily basis, is of paramount importance."
2. "We have a very diverse student body that bring enthusiasm with them every day, and creativity. Every single day is different."
3. "We have absolutely fantastic staff who go the extra mile every single day, who offer the girls outstanding lessons with challenge."
4. "Our school vision: “Empowering tomorrow’s women”. It’s embedded in everything we do on a daily basis. We want every student who leaves Fulham Cross to be empowered to go out there and face the challenges that society throws at them."
5. "We are a small school and one of the advantages [of being having been] here so long is that we have got staff who used to come here as students...and we have parents who attended Fulham Cross Girls’ School who now send their children to us, so there’s a real sense of community and belonging which helps the school to be so successful."