Skip to main content

Where to go for help and advice

Teachers' Pensions Scheme

Capita Teachers' Pensions Mowden Hall, Darlington, DL3 9EE

Tel: 0845 6066166

Fax: 01325 745789

The Prudential

Administrators of the teachers' additional voluntary contributions scheme (AVCs).

The Pension Connection Tel: 0845 607 0077 (9am-7pm, Monday to Friday)


(all available on Amazon)

The Pensions Handbook: Planning Ahead to Boost Retirement Income

By Sue Ward, published September 2004 by Age Concern Books. pound;5.59

7 Ways to Beat the Pension Crisis By Anthony Vice, published April 2004 by How To Books. pound;6.99

Take Control of Your Pension: action pack from Which?

By Jonquil Lowe, published February 2003 by Which? Books. pound;7.69

Investing for Dummies

By Tony Levene, published July 2004 by John Wiley. pound;7.79

Sorting Out Your Finances for Dummies

By Melanie Bien, published March 2005 by John Wiley. pound;5.99

The "Which?" Guide to Making the Most of Retirement

By Thalia Thompson, published September 2003 by Which? Books. pound;7.69

Retiring to Spain : Everything you Need to Know

By Cyril Holbrook, published November 2003 by Age Concern Books. Pounds 6.39

The Beginner's Guide to Retirement: Taking Control of Your Future

By Michael Longhurst, published by Newleaf 2001. pound;14.99


Age Concern

Information on everything from money and legal issues to community care and health. Telephone free: 0800 00 99 66

Association of Retired and Persons Over 50

ARPO50 is a social and campaigning membership organisation for older people, dedicated to changing attitudes to age.

Windsor House, 1270 London Road SW16 4DH

Tel: 020 8764 3344

Counsel and Care

Advice on rights to community care and welfare benefits.

Tel: 0845 300 7585 (Monday to Friday, 10am to 12noon, 2pm to 4pm, except Wednesday)

Help the Aged

SeniorLine is a free telephone service run by Help the Aged for older people and their carers. Trained advice workers help with questions about welfare benefits, community care and residential care.

Tel: 0808 800 6565 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm)

Teacher Support Network

The TSN, an independent charity where teachers and lecturers, both working and retired, can get advice and support on many issues including housing, health, well-being and personal finance. Its Money Advice Service offers help with in managing your money and dealing with debt. It does not offer advice concerning savings, investment and so on.

Hamilton House, Mabledon Place London WC1H 9BE

Tel: 020 7554 5200 (England) Tel: 01656 766 287 (Wales)

Tel: 0131 220 0872 (Scotland)

Tel: 028 9127 5929 (Northern Ireland)

Email: enquiries@teachersupport. info


Department for Work and Pensions

Government department with comprehensive online pensions and retirement section. Also information on proposed changes to public sectorschemes.www.

Also includes the Pension Service intended to be the first port of call for state and private pensions information on the web. Does not advise on private or occupational pensions, but does give pointers as to what you should be thinking about, whether you are just starting out, are about to retire or have already retired. Also Pensions Direct, another DWP service, with general advice if your state pension, widow's or bereavement benefits are already paid direct into a bank or building society account.

Tyne View Park, Whitley Road Benton, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE98 1BA

Tel: 0845 301 3011

The UK Government Actuary's Department (GAD)

This is a government department and a commercial actuarial consultancy giving independent professional advice within the public service. It provides advice which affects the pension entitlements of more than three million public-sector workers in the UK and advises the governments of many other countries on similar topics.

Finlaison House, 5-17 Furnival Street, London EC4A 1AB

Tel: 020 7211 26002601


Government proposals for change

The progress of the debate on the modernisation of the TPS, including teachers' responses to the proposals, can be found by searching "pensions consultations" on www., as well as downloading the 2002 Pensions Green Paper: Public Service Pension Age - Information for Members of the Teachers' Pensions Scheme (TPS) leaflet, available in English or Welsh. Entitled "Simplicity, Security and Choice: Working and Saving for Retirement", it proposed a package of reforms to ensure that people are adequately provided for in retirement and to encourage greater participation of older workers in the labour market.


Financial Ombudsman

Provides consumers with a free, independent service for resolving disputes with financial firms. Financial Ombudsman Service South Quay Plaza, 183

Marsh Wall London E14 9SR

Tel: 0845 080 1800

Financial Services Authority

The FSA is the independent regulator set up by the Government to look after the financial services industry and protect consumers. The FSA does not deal with specific consumer complaints, recommend firms or give legal advice, however, its helpline can answer general queries about financial products and services. It can also tell you if a firm is authorised and help direct you if you have a complaint and don't know who to contact.

Tel: 0845 606 1234 (Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm )Automated leafletline line for the most frequently requested publications: 0845 456 1555

The Pensions Advisory Service

An independent non-profit organisation that provides information and guidance on the whole spectrum of pensions covering state, company, personal and stakeholder schemes. Also helps anyone with a problem, complaint or dispute with their occupational or private pension arrangement. The work is carried out mostly by a network of volunteer pension professionals spread throughout the UK. All are people who work or have worked in the pensions industry and do their advisory work in their own time.

Tel: 0845 6012923

Stakeholder pensions

These have been available from April 6, 2001. Helpline: 0845 6012923

www. stakeholderhelpline.

Pensions Ombudsman

The ombudsman investigates and decides complaints and disputes about the way that pension schemes are run. David Laverick, the current ombudsman, is appointed by Parliament, and is independent. His services are free.

11 Belgrave Road, London


Tel: 020 7834 9144

Email: enquiries@pensions-

Pension Protection Fund

Fund established by the Government to pay compensation to workers who belong to final salary schemes if their employer goes into liquidation.

Knollys House, 17 Addiscombe Road, Croydon, Surrey CR0 6SR

Tel: 0845 600 2541

Email: .uk

The Pensions Commission

The commission, under Adair Turner, was appointed by the Government in 2002 to advise on the future of pensions in the UK. Its report, "Challenges and Choices", was published last year and can be downloaded from, or ordered from the Stationery Office It is due to make recommendations this year.

Occupational Pensions Regulatory Authority

It can impose penalties where there are breaches of the law. Helps people trace pension schemes they have lost touch with.

The Pension Regulator

Napier House, Trafalgar Place Brighton BN1 4DW

Tel: 01273 811800


Times Educational Supplement

News and opinion on the pensions debate, plus views from the classroom in the online staffroom.


Consumer magazine with plenty of advice on personal finance, investments, and pensions. Currently offering 30-day free trial. Which?, Castlemead, Gascoyne Way, Hertford SG14 1LH

Tel: 0845 307 4000


Simplicity, Security and Choice: Working and Saving for Retirement

A joint response on women and pensions from Age Concern and the Fawcett Society.

Age Concern, tel: 020 8765 7200

Fawcett Society, tel: 020 7253 2598


Association of Teachers and Lecturers

7 Northumberland Street

London WC2N 5RD

Tel: 020 7930 6441


Educational Institute of Scotland

46 Moray Place

Edinburgh EH3 6BH

Tel: 0131 225 6244


National Association of Head Teachers

The NAHT salaries, pensions and conditions of service department offers support, help and guidance on all matters relating to the TPS, particularly guidance on ill-health retirement.

Tel: 01444 472477


National Association of Schoolmasters Union of Women Teachers

Hillscourt Education Centre

Rose Hill, Rednal, Birmingham

B45 8RS

Tel: 0121 453 6150

Email: nasuwt@mail.nasuwt.

National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education

27 Britannia StreetLondon WC1X 9JP

Tel: 020 7837 3636


National Union of Teachers

Hamilton House, Mabledon Place London WC1H 9BD

Tel: 020 7388 6191

Professional Association of Teachers

2 St James' Court, Friar Gate Derby DE1 1BT

Tel: 01332 372337


Secondary Heads Association

130 Regent Road, Leicester


Tel: 0116 299 1122



Welsh teachers' union.

Pen Roc, Rhodfa'r Mor,

Aberystwyth, Ceredigion,

SY23 2AZ

Tel: 01970 639950



The public-sector union with many members in schools.

1 Mabledon Place, London


Tel: 0845 355 0845

Also Frizzell, financial services company in partnership with Unison since 1931.

Liverpool Victoria IFA, County Gates, Bournemouth BH1 2NF

Tel: 0800 252 171


Independent Financial Advisers

Service to locate an independent financial adviser close to where you live or work. About 9,000 IFAs are listed with their areas of expertise.

Tel: 0800 085 3250

Advice online

Independent pensions advice.

Money Extra

Useful financial advice and information.

Tel: 0845 077 7085


A leading independent financial site in the UK, offering a range of money advice services.

Money Supermarket

Site offering comparisons between a wide range of financial services products.


Log in or register for FREE to continue reading.

It only takes a moment and you'll get access to more news, plus courses, jobs and teaching resources tailored to you