Grow Your Own Qualified Teachers
Help your valuable school staff achieve QTS without them leaving your school
Help your staff gain QTS with Straight to Teaching
Take control of your teaching shortages by helping your existing school staff achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS*) while they continue to work in your school. Straight to Teaching will help you to develop and upskill suitable members of your school through a tailored QTS preparation and assessment programme.
Straight to Teaching provides an alternative route to initial teacher training courses for staff such as unqualified teachers, teaching assistants and cover supervisors. Available in primary and secondary mainstream, independent, SEND and international schools teaching the English national curriclum, this professional development course is tailor made based on their existing teaching experience.
What does the school need to provide?
The school will need to provide the teacher with sufficient teaching hours and classroom time, as well as a suitable school mentor that is familiar with initial teacher training and the Teachers’ Standards. Tes Institute will support both the teacher and mentor through a dedicated Pathway Tutor who is experienced in working with new teachers.
What criteria do your staff members need to meet?
Your staff must have some teaching experience already and hold the following qualifications:
- At least a grade C or level 4 at GCSE level in English and Mathematics (and Science for those intending to teach pupils aged 3-11) or equivalent
- A degree from a UK higher education institution or equivalent qualification from outside the UK
Please note that if they do not have the appropiate GCSE qualifcations then an equivalency test can be taken during the course. If they are still in the process of completing a degree they can start the Straight to Teaching course if they are in their final year of study.
By the time they are assessed for QTS at the end of the course they must have:
- Passed both professional skills test
- Undertaken significant teaching experience (this can include prior experience as well as experience completed during the Straight to Teaching programme)
- Be able to demonstrate that they meet the QTS Standards across a minimum of two consecutive age ranges for their chosen teaching specialism
How can Straight to Teaching help your school?
Our QTS preparation programme will help your school by helping you:
- Grow and retain your own high-quality teachers at a low cost
- Address and take control of your teacher shortages
- Provide staff with more professional development opportunities
- Develop existing staff whilst they continue to work in school
- Upskill existing staff and promote from within
* The title of this award is subject to change due to an ongoing government consultation at the time of going to press. If you are planning to teach outside England please discuss the programme, QTS and the required teaching qualification for your particular region, with your employing school or the relevant regulatory body before applying.
Get advice from our team
Complete this form and an enrolment advisor will contact you to discuss how Straight to Teaching can help you.
“Straight to Teaching has given me the opportunity to start my teaching career. The support I received from my tutor and her colleagues at TES Institute has been first class. They have provided me with all the tools I need to succeed and gain my QTS.” Straight to Teaching Participant
e-learning awards 2014