Your guide to the three main parties’ plans for schools in England
What do the manifestos of the Conservatives, Labour and the Liberal Democrats reveal about their education strategies?
• Lift the ban on new grammar schools.
• Ban councils from creating any new places in schools rated “inadequate” or “requires improvement”.
• Ensure at least 100 leading independent schools will become involved in sponsoring academies or founding free schools.
• Review the school admissions system, but rule out a “mandatory lottery-based school admissions policy”.
• Improve schools’ accountability at key stage 3.
• Expect 75 per cent of pupils to be entered for the EBacc by 2022, rising to 90 per cent in 2025.
• Ensure all children have access to “an academic ...