Inclusion is often defined as ensuring access to learning for those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) but true inclusion is far wider than this. It involves the whole community and all its stakeholders, as there are many differences that may mean students need additional support to get the most out of their education, such as:
- Cognitive difference
- Physical difference
- Being more and/or exceptionally able (also known as gifted and talented)
- Language difference
- Social and emotional needs
- Mental ill health
- Marital status of family members
- Sexual orientation
- Migration or displacement status
- Being in a minority group within the community
Each person is unique in their qualities, personality, dreams, aspirations, skills and struggles. Inclusion is about recognising that no one is any better than anyone else and that all are welcome – whether at home, school, work or in the community.
Everyone should be given the access they need to be the best they can be and be supported to achieve their best results, and there’s no reason why this can’t take place for all within the same establishment. A child with a high need can be educated in the same environment as their friends, although it may be in a different way. Inclusion is about meeting the needs of all so the provision for different children may look very varied. It doesn’t mean all being in the same room all the time, but ensuring access for all.
Flexible online training to help your school create an inclusive environment
Our online professional studies training package contains 12 courses that focus on the inclusion of young people within a whole school environment. These include:
Adaptive Teaching (Differentiation) which covers:
- Ways to meet the needs of individual learners and select and adapt materials
- When to differentiate and what approach to take in teaching
- Devising differentiated learning resources and activities
- Understanding that differentiation doesn’t have to be too elaborate to be effective
Also included is Adaptive Teaching to Facilitate Inquiry Based Learning and Adaptive Teaching Made Simple (with Mike Gershon).
Inclusive Practice which covers:
- Emotional intelligence in action
- The key aspects of an inclusive school and the need for a whole-school approach to inclusion
- Potential barriers to inclusion
- The effectiveness of a range of strategies to support inclusion
- Strategies to establish an inclusive learning environment
Also included is Inclusive Practice in the Inquiry Based Classroom and Inclusion in Early Years.
Personalised Learning to Facilitate Inquiry Based Learning which covers:
- What personalised learning is and the benefits it offers
- Opportunities for personalised learning within inquiry learning
- Strategies for regular personalised learning time
Also included in Personalised Learning.
Supporting SEND in Mainstream Schools which covers:
- What special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) is, the traits for individual special educational needs and ways students with SEND can be supported in mainstream school
- The stages of an education, health and care plan (EHCP)
- Effective teaching and learning strategies to enable SEND pupils to make equitable progress alongside their peers
Unique Child: Theories of Child Development
Which explores how some theories of learning and development underpin the principles and practice of the ‘Unique Child’, providing an overview of:
- Attachment Theory
- Cognitivist Theory
- Socio-cultural theories
- Schema Theory
And how they support the concept that young children learn best through play.
With a subscription to our professional studies training package your whole school will get unlimited access to our courses that focus on teaching inclusively and over 40 more – covering planning, assessment and behaviour for learning, cognitive development, wellbeing, learning technologies and more. All in one place, for one cost effective annual price.
To find out more about how our professional training package could benefit your school, book a demo today.
You can also download our full course listing.