For many trainee teachers, Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses provide a vital headstart before their teacher training, combining both pedagogy and of course subject knowledge.
So whether you don't know anything about SKE or you're struggling to answer those tricky bursary questions, our guide to Subject Knowledge Enhancement will give you the answers to confidently promote SKE to candidates applying to your teacher training programme.
This guide will cover everything from:
- Making SKE part of your recruitment: how you can use it to expand your recruitment pool and ensure you're not missing out on those candidates who hold non subject specific degrees with the potential to become great teachers.
- How to determine if your candidates are in need of a SKE course: how to spot if someone would benefit from SKE and deciding course length.
- Why choose Tes Institute and what's different about our courses?
- FAQs: Addressing some of the most common questions we receive from ITT providers, for example what feedback will you receive, does it cost the ITT provider anything and how often SKE programmes start.
- ITT provider case study: Kent and Medway training share their experience about SKE courses and working with Tes Institute.
Upcoming application deadlines
We now offer fortnightly SKE start dates, making it even easier for candidates to become subject knowledge confidence before starting initial teacher training. The remaining start dates for 2018/2019 academic year are listed below.
|SKE application Deadline||SKE start date|
|23 April 2019||01 May 2019|
|29 April 2019||13 May 2019|
|13 May 2019||28 May 2019|
|27 May 2019||10 June 2019|
|10 June 2019||24 June 2019|
|24 June 2019||08 July 2019|
|08 July 2019||22 July 2019|
|22 July 2019||05 August 2019|
Do you have questions about your trainees completing a summer SKE or overlapping their SKE with teacher training? Find out more in this blog.
You can hear from trainees who have completed the programme by selecting the 'subject knowledge enhancement' tab on this page.
I'm no longer focusing as a student, but rather how to teach a student
Find out how SKE prepared these teachers for their teacher training and increased their subject confidence.
Useful SKE content:
- SKE course page- your trainees can apply here under the 'get advice' tab.
- SKE trainee journey to subject confidence
- Does a candidate need SKE? A guide on how to assess subject knowledge
- Time saving tips for teacher training providers
- You can view more SKE blog posts here, featuring a range of hints and tips for trainees and ITT providers.