Did you know a secret underground postal railway is hidden under London’s streets? For over 75 years a network of driverless electric trains, the first of their kind in the world weaved under London moving up to 4 million letters a day.
Use Mail Rail CREST SuperStar Challenges to inspire your students with this unique story of engineering ingenuity. Investigate the Science behind Mail Rail in your classroom and receive Mail Rail SuperStar stickers which can count towards a British Science Association CREST AWARD.
MAIL RAIL (KS2)
Curriculum links: Science, Maths, History, Geography, Literacy, Citzenship, Local Studies, Design and Technology, Engineering
To find out more about British Science Association CREST Awards visit http://www.crestawards.org/about-crest-awards/
Mail Rail CREST Activities include:
• Petitioning Parliament!: The year is 1913 and the streets of London are very busy. Students investigate why and write to the Prime Minister to persuade him to build Mail Rail.
You’ll need Teachers’ Notes, Student Challenge, PowerPoint, Timeline and Factsheet
• Mail Rail Marble Run: Mail Rail engineers needed! Students work as a team to design the fastest, cheapest tunnel to move the mail underground.
You’ll need Teachers’ Notes, Student Challenge Card, PowerPoint, Railway Money, Mail Rail Map, Timeline and Fact Sheet
• Future Mail: The year is 2050. Students must research transport from the past to design a new method of transporting the mail in the future.
You’ll need Teachers’ Notes, Student Challenge Card, PowerPoint, Timeline and Fact Sheet
• Download a sheet of Mail Rail SuperStar stickers
• Download a Make Your Own Mail Rail Hard Hat Activity
• Visit The Postal Museum website to view films of Mail Rail in action
Mail Rail at The Postal Museum
Mail Rail CREST SuperStar Challenges can support a visit to The Postal Museum.
Find out about school visits to The Postal Museum: postalmuseum.org/for-schools
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have downloaded this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.