The British Red Cross has produced a new resource for Refugee Week which takes place 18-24 June. The new resource for 7–14 year-olds helps develop understanding of what might cause someone to leave their home. Through real-life case studies, films and creative writing, learners will increase empathy towards refugees and learn about shared interests, such as music. FInd out more Link
We’ve created five activities designed to take approximately 30-45 minutes.
• Kick start your lesson by creating a safe space and exploring initial views towards refugees and asylum seekers.
• Develop learners’ understanding of key terms and build empathy through real-life case studies.
• Consider how refugees can strengthen their resilience and cope with building a new life.
• Explore how creativity can bring people together to express their feelings and share experiences. This activity uses a short film of a refugee choir for discussion.
• Reflect and consider one simple act learners can do to contribute to Refugee Week 2018.