These resources (for 7-14 year-olds) celebrate 20 years of Refugee Week helping learners to build empathy and understand the contributions, creativity and resilience of refugees. Through real-life case studies, films and creative writing, learners will increase empathy towards refugees and learn about shared interests, such as music.
We’ve created five activities designed to take approximately 30-45 minutes.
• Kick start your lesson by creating a safe space and exploring initial views towards refugees and asylum seekers.
• Develop learners’ understanding of key terms and build empathy through real-life case studies.
• Consider how refugees can strengthen their resilience and cope with building a new life.
• Explore how creativity can bring people together to express their feelings and share experiences. This activity uses a short film of a refugee choir for discussion.
• Reflect and consider one simple act learners can do to contribute to Refugee Week 2018.
To find out more visit www.redcross.org.uk/education