Promoting your resources on social media

Sian Evans and Chris Birrell
29th November 2016
promoting your resources on social media, social media, facebook, twitter, tes author, resources on social media

Author advice: top tips for improving your presence on social media 

Once you've set yourself up on TES, published a selection of quality resources and have spent time developing your shop, you may find yourself wondering what’s next.

Whether you want to share your resources, increase your sales or just interact with other TES users, social media is that next step. A recent study we did showed that over 70% of our top 20 sellers on TES are actively promoting their resources on social channels. 

Don’t fret! We know that your time is very precious and the social domain can seem overwhelming. To give you the lowdown on using these platforms in a manageable way, we asked Chris Birrell, social media manager for TES Resources, to share four tricks of the trade.

  1. Less is more

    It is better to be more active on fewer social channels than spreading yourself too thinly. Many people use Facebook or Twitter, but not necessarily both. Why not start with one of these first, especially if you're already familiar with them? Whichever channel you choose, don’t forget to add links to your social profiles from your TES shop. 

    Advanced tip: Check out free scheduling tools such as Buffer or Hootsuite, which enable you to schedule posts and tweets in advance. This allows you to be teaching a class and simultaneously promoting your resources
  2. Give to get back

    Engaging with others on social media is essential. Replies, comments and shares are the key to building a core group of followers who will want to hear what you have to say. Develop trust in your brand by sharing free resources and if you are selling your resources, only promote those resources 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time offer helpful content for your target teacher market. 

    Advanced tip: Build relationships with people who interact with you and find opportunities to be genuinely positive about other users’ content. Questions in comments are also a useful way of keeping the conversation going.
  3. Always use visuals

    Images are great for catching people’s attention, especially when you are competing with the rest of their newsfeed. Real-life pictures of resources in the classroom environment are powerful and help to show how your materials work in action. You might find it’s worthwhile taking or using multiple images of a single resource, so you can add a bit of variety when you’re promoting it.

    Advanced tip: Go beyond a single image and experiment with videos and GIFs to bring your content to life.
  4. Keep us in the loop

    Always add @tesResources into your Twitter posts for the chance to be Retweeted! Make sure that you are Tweeting and posting about timely content including a great image. Use a link shortening website, like, when sharing your resources to make your links look tidier.

    Advanced tip: Vary your wording and motivate your followers with a call to action, for example "Download my free Christmas maths resources..."

Quick links

Follow TES Resources on FacebookTwitterPinterestInstagram and YouTube.

For more inspiration and support, check out the author section of our blog, where you can find tips, guidance and author features. If you have any questions or queries, contact our dedicated TES Author team.

Contact us

Visit our forums

Latest education news

New to TES Resources ? Find out more about becoming an author on TES, or dive straight in and start downloading.