Birmingham, United Kingdom
About Holyhead School
At Holyhead, we are privileged to work in a diverse community where we have a positive impact on students’ life chances and aspirations. They should be proud of, and not held
back by, where they are from. Our students are entitled to a first-rate, inclusive and context-specific education, one which provides them with the knowledge and skills to achieve
their best possible outcomes. This will enable them to thrive in a competitive world outside our walls. We will promote and prioritise excellence, adults equipping students with the
characteristics that are necessary for success in a rapidly changing society. We will Teach What Matters. Our cohesive curriculum is designed so that all subjects contribute to the
development of the skills and experiences we have collectively defined as important to our students.
We believe exceptional learning and expert teaching will be achieved by:
- Staff prioritising their own development so that children benefit from their exceptional subject and pedagogical knowledge
- Extending students’ reading experiences and enriching their vocabulary across and beyond the curriculum
- Staff being responsive practitioners through informed collaborative planning and ongoing evaluation
- Planning for learning rather than performance to ensure lasting learning
- Recognising the efficiency and impact of direct instruction by expert teachers
We find learning the next powerful form of teaching.
Not all childrens’ needs are equal. Here at Holyhead, we know that better than anyone. It’s important to understand needs, aspirations and challenges, and we mean really understand, because our community is unlike most others – it’s not richer or privileged. It’s real with children who need care and role models to help shape their future, lift aspirations and keep them safe. Our community needs a distinctive style, creativity and ability when it comes to teaching. We are not a school that prides itself on positions in league tables (although students make outstanding academic progress). Instead, we pride ourselves on the children who get jobs and develop character that steers them away from an alternative, less positive life. That’s our purpose and the more we learn from children, the better life lessons we can teach. There is a magic to Holyhead we must preserve and celebrate every day. There is a commitment to listening and building relationships you will not find anywhere else.Our Vision
- We want to be nationally noteworthy.
- We are working towards a Holyhead where every student reaches their full potential and first-choice destination. No gaps. No differences to diminish.
- In order to achieve this, we will build partnerships that improve outcomes for all students and provide rich and diverse learning experiences that complement an outstanding, context-specific but global facing curriculum, clear in its intent and purpose. We believe in a knowledge-rich curriculum and direct instruction by expert teachers.
- We aim to build relationships that deliver the ’highest quality’ learning and enrichment programme. In particular, we aim to extend our provision for vocational learning, STEM and Creative Arts, areas of learning which ignite our learner’s passions and ambitions.
- We will also lead and innovate in the areas of teacher development, character education, safeguarding and student support. We pride ourselves on creative thinking, action research and turning ideas into impact. We will push the boundaries of what is possible.
- We also have high ambitions for our learning environment. We will work tirelessly to develop a modern, welcoming school that epitomises high academic standards and creativity.
- Holyhead will continue to be a provider of outstanding education and a beacon of civic pride for the local community