Springwell Learning Community
Barnsley, United Kingdom
About Springwell Learning Community
Springwell Learning Community is an outstanding cross-phase ESBD Special Academy with a national reputation for excellence in working with challenging and vulnerable children with special educational needs. As a National Teaching School, Springwell is at the cutting edge of educational development, involved in national research and development, teacher training, bespoke CPD and school-to-school support. This creates obvious opportunities for professional development and career progression beyond the classroom.
Springwell is also commissioned by Barnsley LA to run its Alternative Academy provision, EOTAS, Elective Home education and the Behaviour Support Service. Working in partnership with Barnsley College, we also have a bespoke Post 16 provision.
Springwell Learning Community serves the whole of Barnsley and is a state of the art multi-million pound specialist building. The school has been designed around a vision where unconditional positive regard lies at the core of everything we do. Sound, lighting, shape and space all contribute to a pedagogical approach that promotes creativity across the curriculum. In the heart of the school we have an innovative immersive space allowing compelling learning experiences to engage and motivate our pupils.
The Executive Principal of Springwell is a member of the Head teachers’ Roundtable which is working at a national level to influence education policy. He is also an associate of Independent Thinking Limited and a National Leader of Education.
Springwell places a huge emphasis on professional development and invests significantly in staff training at all levels. This means that, although experience of working in an SEBD setting would be an advantage, specialist support and training will be provided for outstanding teachers wishing to make the career fulfilling move into special education.
Springwell is a place where:
- Our core values of unconditional positive regard, honesty and respect lead to self-discipline and increased self-esteem.
- Each individual is valued and respected and suitable learning opportunities are created for all.
- Future citizens are nurtured and prepared for the future in both the world of work and society.
- Everyone is safe, physically and emotionally.
- We are all encouraged to make a positive contribution.
At Springwell we aim to:
- Provide a safe, happy and caring environment for all
- Promote high standards of learning, achievement and behaviour for all
- Establish a broad, balanced and exciting curriculum that supports the development of social, emotional and behavioural skills and a love of learning
- Enable all learners to develop in-depth knowledge, understanding and skills to the best of their ability
- Value, support and celebrate the many different ways that children can learn and achieve their full potential
- Value diversity within our school, community and the wider world
- Respect the rights and views of others and acknowledge our own responsibilities as citizens
- Consider the effects of our actions on the environment and promote more environmentally friendly practices