St Mary's Calne
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
About St Mary's Calne
St Mary’s Calne is an independent boarding and day school for girls aged 11-18, a happy, purposeful and flourishing community of around 365 pupils with a 80% to 20% boarding to day ratio.
Founded in 1873, the school has been providing an outstanding education for girls for 140 years, and our alumnae have prominent positions in every profession from the law, politics and medicine to the arts, drama and sport. There is a strong tradition of the core academic subjects and strength in science and mathematics, as well as modern languages, arts and humanities.
Our Sixth Form is flourishing and highly successful, with over 120 girls. The girls benefit from exceptional careers advice and work hard to achieve their goals. Their academic results are outstanding and the girls go on to study at top UK and American universities; the striking range of courses they embark upon shows the wealth of choice available to our pupils. Many of the Sixth Form also undertake extensive pieces of independent research in the form of the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), with 100% achieving A*s last year.
Located near the market town of Calne and amidst the natural beauty of the Wiltshire Downs, we are also within easy reach of the university towns of Bath, Bristol and Oxford and just over an hour by train from London. Our ideal location means that our girls benefit from a huge range of curriculum-enhancing opportunities as well as extra-curricular ones.
ISI May 2017: Under the new ISI framework in both quality of Pupil Achievement and Pupil Development St Mary’s was awarded the highest possible grade – Excellent. In addition, St Mary’s was found to be robustly compliant with all the ISI statutory standards in the Focused Compliance Inspection.
Our strategic plans for the next few years include the following:
- To build on and develop a high expectation and success culture amongst pupils and staff.
- To continue to develop and strengthen a fully integrated education for each girl which responds to her individual needs.
- To develop a cutting edge curriculum and extra-curriculum that anticipates and responds to the needs of the workplace and life in the 21st century and allows girls to develop their agility of mind, their independence in learning and their adaptability.
- To develop school structures, systems and facilities to support and enable our curriculum aims.
- To ensure the high profile of St Mary’s is recognised in the local, national and international community.
St Mary’s offers positions on its own pay scale based on experience and expertise. Benefits include pension scheme, reduced school fees for dependents (including girls and boys up to 11 at St Margaret’s Preparatory School), a nominal fee for on site Sport Centre membership (including access to a wide range of fitness classes, swimming pool and gym) and excellent term time meals.