This REVISION resource has been written with the aim of motivating the students whilst they are challenged on their knowledge of the content in Biology TOPIC 7 (Animal coordination, control and homeostasis) of the Edexcel GCSE Combined Science specification. The resource contains an engaging and detailed PowerPoint (73 slides) and accompanying worksheets, some of which are differentiated to provide extra scaffolding to students when it is required.
The wide range of activities have been designed to cover as much of topic 7 as possible but the following sub-topics have been given a particular focus:
- The causes and treatments of diabetes type I and II
- The control of blood glucose concentration through the release of insulin and glucagon
- The importance of homeostasis
- Calculating BMI
- The hormones involved in the female menstrual cycle
- The use of clomifene therapy and IVF in assisted reproductive therapy
- Hormonal and barrier methods of contraception
- The actions of adrenaline
There is a large emphasis on mathematical skills in the new specification and these are tested throughout the lesson.
This resource is suitable for use at the end of topic 7, in the lead up to mocks or in the preparation for the final GCSE exams.