This advanced unit of work focuses on Book 1, Chapter 5 of George Orwell’s 1984 or Nineteen-Eighty-Four, with a specific focus on aiding your study of the novel for IGCSE English Literature (1984 is a set text for the IGCSE English Literature Exams in 2020 and 2021).
Although this unit of work, as indeed all of my 1984 handouts and activities are specifically designed to be read at IGCSE level or in preparation for the IGCSE English Literature exams. But they can be used independent of these exams and the IGCSE curriculum, too, of course!
The level is certainly also high enough to be used if you have made 1984 one of the set texts for your IB English A: Literature or English A: Language & Literature course.
The unit of work includes:
- Comprehension questions for Book 1, Chapter 5 of 1984
- Exam Practice Question: This activity uses an important passage from Book 1, Chapter 5, and emulates the IGCSE English Literature exam by offering both a passage-based and an essay question to choose from. Can be used to facilitate close reading and exam practice.
- 1984 in Context: Information Text about the Appendix of 1984 which explains the Principles of Newspeak. This is crucial additional information to help students understand the overall purpose of Newspeak in 1984.
- 1984 Then and Now: This activity uses examples from present-day to highlight how Newspeak is still being used in propaganda, advertising and other ways to manufacture consent etc.
- TEACHER’S GUIDE + ANSWER KEY: A detailed teacher’s guide with summary & analysis of Book 1, Chapter 5, as well as an MODEL ANSWERS for the comprehension questions & the Exam Practice Question.
Enjoy, and please leave feedback!