This book provides a total of 50 music dictation tests that will help students to prepare
for the dictation part of their AS or A Level music exam. The book begins with a series
of easier tests that enable students to gradually develop their dictation skills, by first
focussing on just the rhythm, then just the melody, before putting these skills together.
The book is structured in 8 questions, each containing 6-8 tests:
– Question 1: Rhythmic Dictation (8 tests, monophonic recording, rhythm only)
– Question 2: Melodic Dictation (7 tests, monophonic recording, melody only with rhythm given)
– Question 3: Melodic Dictation (7 tests, monophonic recording, melody only with rhythm given)
– Question 4: AS Level Dictation (6 tests, based on tests in Sample Assessment Materials)
– Question 5: AS Level Dictation (7 tests, based on tests in Sample Assessment Materials)
– Question 6: A Level Dictation (6 tests, based on tests in Sample Assessment Materials)
– Question 7: A Level Dictation (7 tests, based on tests in Sample Assessment Materials)
– Question 8: Dictation in Context (2 tests, dictating melody and rhythm from a recording with full texture)
A full sample question is available to view in the files section.
A full mark scheme and audio files for each question are included.
A mark record sheet for students to keep a log of their progress can also be found at the back of the book.
The book is provided as a PDF file, and the audio files for each question are provided in MP3 format within a compressed ZIP file.
This book is designed so that it can be used as one off printed sheets which can be given to students, or as a full printed booklet. A handy guide has been included to help you, if you want to print the full book, to help you make sure the right pages end up in the right place!
If you like this resource, please leave a review below.
Update 21/10/2017: Correction of errors in questions Q1(b), Q2(a), Q4(d), and Q7(d).
This is a really useful, and inexpensive resource that provides plenty of essential practice for the AS/A Level Music student. Many thanks to Sean for taking the time, which I imagine was not inconsiderable, to create this pack.
Another really excellent resource for Edexcel. Thank you SeanYoung_Music!
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.