Before television, cell phones, internet and social media, it wasn’t easy to get the word out across the country on an issue. Nell Richardson and Alice Burke, two women who wanted to promote awareness for women’s suffrage, (the right to vote) decided to go on a cross country road trip. Back in 1916, this wasn’t as simple as it would be today. There were few paved roads, no interstate highway system. There weren’t many gas stations, nor was there GPS to navigate. Nell and Alice traveled to 36 states and traveled 10,700 miles from New York to California and back. This Ms. Bie Ografee play will entertain and inform students about the efforts of women to get the right to vote. Comprehension questions, a Did You Know? section, extension activities and the key are also included in this Reader’s Theater Script.
Possible Additional Resources of Interest on this topic:
- Reader’s Theater Script on Susan B. Anthony. Part of my Ms. Bie Ografee Talk Show Series.
- Webquest on Famous Women in History
- TEN Reading Passages on famous Women in History:
- TEN Reader’s Theater Scripts on famous Women in History:
- Reading: The Silent Sentinels: h