British School Jakarta
About British School Jakarta
Offering an outstanding education for over 40 years
The British School (BSJ) was established in 1973 under the auspices of the British embassy. It has developed into a truly international school with over 44 nationalities in attendance, from Foundation Stage to Year 13 (3 - 18 year olds).
The school is set in an eighteen hectare campus in the south of the city and is recognised as having teaching and sporting facilities of the highest quality. We are fully accredited members of the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) as well as being full members of the Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA) and the Council of British International Schools (COBIS). BSJ is authorised by the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) to offer the Diploma Programme. The school has regular inspection and accreditation visits with the last Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) visit in May 2015.
To inspire, challenge and nurture for excellence.
Our Guiding Principles
- to sustain our reputation for academic excellence by providing a rigorous and balanced international curriculum.
- to enable our students to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
- to foster leadership abilities in our students within a friendly and caring community that inspires, challenges and reflects our international ethos.
- to enable our students to develop a strong sense of belonging, respect and social responsibility in order to create a better more peaceful world.
- to be internationally recognised for our commitment to education for international understanding and partnerships.
Qualities and Characteristics of BSJ
- High academic standards and results at both IB Diploma and IGCSE’s with many graduates being accepted into universities of high standing to the UK, US, Europe and also other notable universities in Canada, Korea and Japan.
- Extensive co-curricular programme including arts, sports and many hobbies and interests.
- Wide cultural diversity of students from national and international backgrounds.
- Encourages the development of the whole child.
- Strong school ethos reflecting the school's core values and a very supportive school community.
- Highly qualified and experienced expatriate and national teachers.
- Outstanding facilities.
- A world recognised Community Service programme gaining prestigious awards.
Primary school students follow the EYFS curriculum in Foundation Stage FS1/FS2 and then the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) and National Curriculum for English and Maths in Key Stage 1 and 2 (years 1 to 6). As of August, 2019, secondary school students will embark on the IB MYP for Years 7 – 9 and from the age of 14 to 16 (years 9 to 11 – Key Stage 4) that includes the IGCSE exams at the end of year 11. From the age of 16 to 18 (Years 12 & 13), students follow the International Baccalaureate Diploma programme.
Teachers at BSJ come from a wide variety of backgrounds and experience. Some are experienced international school teachers, whilst others have joined us directly from the UK system. There are over 140 teachers. They all share a common belief in the benefits of international schooling and are committed to providing the best education possible for our students. We are constantly looking to improve the well-being of our staff and designate specific time in order to plan and implement well-being strategies and activities for all staff.
BSJ recruits well-qualified, experienced career professionals with relevant EYFS, International Primary Curriculum (IPC), National Curriculum, IGCSE, GCSE and IB (MYP & DP) experience. Contributions to co-curricular programmes are essential. Outstanding teachers from other backgrounds will be considered if the applicant is willing to learn and work within the BSJ system and ethos. Professional development is an integral aspect of school life at BSJ with a number of staff actively involved in courses on leadership and personal development.
Working at BSJ
The remuneration package is excellent and reflects the status and quality of this internationally renowned school and includes:
- Annual flights for employee and dependants
- Comprehensive medical cover
- Substantial housing and household costs allowance
- Tuition fee remission for two dependents up to and including Y13
- Relocation allowance for shipping
- 25% gratuity per year paid on completion of the initial 2 year contract and thereafter annually