Worcestershire, United Kingdom
About RGS Springfield
RGS Springfield is a preparatory school and one of the four RGS Family of Schools that form part of The Royal Grammar School, Worcester (RGS Worcester). It is located in a beautiful listed town house in the centre of Britannia Square, at the heart of Worcester City Centre conservation area.
The current school population is around 120 from Nursery to Year Six. Most children then transfer into Year Seven at RGS Worcester Senior School. RGS Springfield is an academically successful school, and each year a number of children win Senior School Academic Scholarships. It is not, however, an academic hot-house and children very much enjoy school and benefit from the wide range of co-curricular activities on offer. Pupils enjoy superb facilities for play and RGS Springfield is an acknowledged centre of excellence for Forest School. There are several musical and dramatic productions each year, including an annual choral concert in Worcester Cathedral and wide program of extra curricular activities.
RGS Springfield Parent Quote 2021
“RGS Springfield is a welcoming, homely community. It is set in the most beautiful grounds and every child is treated as an individual. The secure outside space is fantastic and the specialist lessons are brilliant. Pure magic.“ -
Independent School Inspectors (ISI) Grade RGS Springfield ‘Excellent’ and ‘Outstanding’ - May 2015.
RGS Springfield is described as a place which achieves high levels of literacy and numeracy with excellent co-curricular provision where pupils, ‘..enjoy their education and fulfil their all-round potential..’
‘Teaching successfully supports the aims of the school to develop each child to its full potential academically, socially and emotionally in a safe and caring environment.’
The Good Schools Guide, March 2017
“Most schools trot out clichés such as ‘happy family atmosphere’ and ‘home from home’, but we found a genuine sense of intimacy and belonging here. The secret in the square is well worth discovering.”
RGS Springfield is well-known for the high quality of relationships between children and teaching staff and for high levels of parental satisfaction. It has a wonderful family atmosphere, supportive parents and happy children.
The Royal Grammar School, Worcester is one of the oldest schools in Great Britain and is a leading independent HMC school in the West Midlands. RGS Worcester now comprises four schools: RGS Worcester Senior School (11-18); RGS Springfield (2-11), RGS The Grange (2-11) and RGS Dodderhill (2-16). RGS Worcester underwent a major expansion in 2007 when it merged with a neighbouring all-girls school, The Alice Ottley School, Springfield had been the AO preparatory school prior to the merger. It is vitally important that the Heads of all four schools work as a team.
RGS Springfield is a very special place indeed and its individuality can only be understood via personal contact on a working day.
RGS Springfield is a member of the Independent Association of Prep Schools (IAPS).
We are a small team of teachers, TA's and support staff who work closely together in providing a family atmosphere with plenty of humour and fun for pupils from 2-11 years of age. All staff play their part in making the school a distinctive community with a positive ethos and enjoy opportunities to share enthusiasm with children in clubs and activities.
Professional Reward and Development
We recognise the expertise of our staff and aim to create an inspiring environment in which you can work to your full potential and develop your career.
What we offer:
· Competitive salary with additional allowances for extra responsibilities
· Contributions to professional training costs where there is a benefit to the School and many opportunities for continued professional development projects
· The opportunity to take part in our bespoke Teachers ‘Middle Leadership Programme’ for sustained long term development
· Personal Development and recognition through our annual appraisal scheme
· Full commitment to the induction and training of NQT’s, providing excellent support from our in-house Professional Development Mentor
· Comprehensive INSET programmes, delivering high quality seminars, shared good practice and insights from external speakers
· As one of only a few APPLE Distinguished Schools in the Midlands, the opportunity to take part in becoming an ‘APPLE Teacher’. More details here: https://www.apple.com/uk/education/apple-teacher/
· Well-resourced departments
· Automatic enrolment into the Schools Pension Schemes
· For Teachers you will have the opportunity to become a certified Showbie Educator
Rewards and Perks
To make everyday life just that bit easier, we are continually developing the variety of rewards, discounts and perks we can offer our staff.
What we offer:
· Fee remission for staff of children who satisfy the admissions criteria (proportionately reduced for part time staff)
· Access to your own laptop and iPad
· Cycle Scheme for all staff
· Free refreshments and lunches when the School is operational provided by our excellent Catering team from Holroyd Howe
· Private healthcare with the option to add a spouse or dependant at preferential rates
· For Teachers the option to join either Teachers Pensions or TPT Retirement Solutions at highly attractive rates
· For Non-Teaching Staff the option to join TPT Retirement Solutions also at highly attractive rates
· Discounted membership to Les Mills on Demand Classes for all the family
Health and Wellbeing
Your health and wellbeing is important to us and we encourage our staff to make use of the services offered to help you live and work healthily and happily.
What we offer:
· Family friendly policies including flexible working, enhanced maternity and paternity pay.
· Two paid ‘Family Days’ to help staff cope with life’s emergencies
· Free use of the School’s Gym at agreed times following an induction with a qualified member of staff
· Free access to our Employee Assistance Programme with Health Assured 24/7, which includes up to 6 free counselling sessions and caring and compassionate advice to help staff cope with a range of life challenges such as bereavement, debt and consumer issues.
· Free access to Health Assured’s Wellbeing app to support with health goals
· Ad-hoc wellbeing sessions delivered by our own staff such as yoga and meditation
Community and Environment
Tucked away in the beautiful grounds of Britannia Square, with over two acres of green playing fields just across the road from RGS Worcester, our unique city centre location gives a feel of a country school in the heart of the city.
This is a stimulating, welcoming community where colleagues build supportive professional relationships and friendships.
What we offer:
· Across the four RGS Family of Schools we offer a supportive network of experienced Heads, Deputies and Senior Leadership Teams
· At RGS Springfield, all staff work collaboratively for the benefit of pupils, developing close relationships with families and our positive and supportive ethos underpins all that we do.
· Highly skilled and academic staff who, together, are integral to the successful running of the School, including specialists in French, Music, IT and PE.
· As part of the staff community there are opportunities to take part in enjoyable social events, sports activities and more
· By joining a family of four Schools, the opportunity to work across our School sites and work collaboratively with others, enhancing the development for both you and our pupils
· A beautiful environment which combines well-maintained historic buildings with fantastic facilities, including a new international standard Hockey Centre with state-of-the-art water-based pitches, a joint venture with Worcester Hockey Club and Worcester Council.
· Many parts of our beautiful and flexible School sites are available to hire at a discounted rate to staff
· Friendly and supportive staff who work together and share resources and ideas
The aims of the School are to reach a high level of academic achievement, to be a caring and civilised society within a well-disciplined environment and, by placing emphasis on a wide range of sporting, cultural and other activities, to extend pupils in as many ways as possible. Overall, the aim is to offer a balanced and challenging education, which will stand pupils in good stead in their future schooling and within the community at large. Our School film ‘Worcester is Green' (see below) gives a flavour of our pupil-centred approach.
The Governors of RGS Worcester are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service. Safeguarding forms part of the interview process.