St Hugh's School
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
About St Hugh's School
St Hugh’s Oxfordshire is a highly regarded co-educational, day and boarding independent preparatory school with 350 boys and girls from the ages of 3 to 13.
Founded in 1906 in Chislehurst, Kent, St Hugh’s School was named after Hugh of Avalon, Bishop of Lincoln from 1156 to 1200. In 1946, the school relocated to Carswell Manor, a Jacobean country house surrounded by 40 acres in Oxfordshire. The school became a charitable trust in 1967 and is administered by a board of governors who are also trustees.
Mr James C Thompson
Vision and values
St Hugh’s aims to give our pupils a secure educational foundation and the confidence to be adaptable and independent as they prepare for life beyond the school. We give all our pupils the opportunity and encouragement to develop their own interests and talents, while learning to work and play together and to contribute positively to their community.
There is no competitive selection: we both welcome and cater for pupils of a wide range of ability. Our aim is to foster confidence and a love of learning across this range – an outstanding Scholarship and Common Entrance record and the provision of integral learning support both bear testimony to our inclusive approach
The excellent variety of extra-curricular activities enables children to extend their talents and interests beyond the classroom.
“The excellent curricular provision provides a broad range of learning opportunities in both academic and creative subjects with many sporting opportunities available. An excellent variety of extra-curricular activities gives the pupils many opportunities to pursue their interests. Imaginative use is made of the school’s surrounding woods and countryside.”
Good Schools Guide
‘Small classes, spacious modern facilities and glorious surroundings are enough to inspire any child to reach their full potential...’