Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai
United Arab Emirates
About Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai
About the School
We have created a school in Dubai which offers an outstanding education focused on both academic excellence and personal growth to enable our students to fully embrace their future opportunities. We spark our students’ curiosity, support them as they become independent and inspire them to become lifelong learners.
Our school in Dubai offers the International Baccalaureate programme as a candidate school with a strong focus on languages and developing a real understanding of cultural diversity. All of our students become multilingual with the option of entering our bilingual sections, in French or German, or studying foreign languages such as French, German and Italian within our English section.
We believe in having high standards; encouraging our students to stretch themselves to achieve success, unlocking talents and discovering new strengths. Whilst academic success is important, we recognize that human values such as confidence, enthusiasm and empathy are also required to be successful. Our large campus ensures that we can offer a wide range of sporting facilities, including water sports that will make the most of our location adjacent to Dubai Creek. Our aim is to promote a balance across all of these areas, ensuring that our students become well-rounded global citizens.
Together with our parents, we create a thriving international community where ambitious and enthusiastic children can lay the foundation for a successful and happy life.
Our school values are at the heart of everything we do. This approach to education recognizes the importance of developing lasting human values alongside academic success.
- With English as the foundation, our students will also speak, read and write in French, German or Arabic.
- As global citizens, we celebrate diversity, treating all languages and cultures with equal respect.
- We believe in having high standards and aspiring to be the best that we can be.
- We foster the spirit of enquiry, encouraging both creative and critical thinking.
- We believe that social, cultural, economic and environmental awareness prepare us to play our part in shaping a better future for ourselves and those around us.
- Our school campus is eco-friendly, using less energy to deliver a more comfortable, healthier environment.
- In our international community, we know that when we all work together we are at our best.
- We view active participation in the community, from the most local to the most global, as the foundation of a valuable life.
At the Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai (SISD) we follow the framework of the International Baccalaureate (IB) programme as a candidate school from Pre-KG to Grade 9 (with grades 10 – 12 gradually opening in the years to come, subject to KHDA approval) and the Swiss Baccalaureate programme from Grade 9 onwards (in the next phase).
The programme from Pre-Kindergarten through to Grade 9 creates, develops and sustains a community of life-long learners and provides a coherent learning experience. The IB Programme aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. It is a programme that encourages students across the world to become active and compassionate learners.
With an emphasis on developing a multi-lingual school community, we offer three strands at our school:
- The English strand with foreign languages (French, German or Italian)
- The English/ French strand
- The English/ German strand
The bilingual programme is generally suited for learners whose mother tongue is English, French or German, however, we will admit children who do only speak one of these languages up to Grade 1.
As we strive to build a multilingual student community, the students joining us in the "English with foreign languages" strand are taught foreign languages by native-speaking teachers five lessons per week. SISD offers (for now) French, German and Italian as foreign languages, Italian is only available for native Italian speakers. Furthermore, students attend six study lessons of Arabic classes per week both for native and non-native speakers. This is what distinguishes us from most other Dubai schools. In the coming years, we will be extending the range of languages on offer to truly build a community of global citizens.