The Boswells School
Essex, United Kingdom
About The Boswells School
The Boswells School
The Boswells School is a large 11-18 secondary school that serves the area of north Chelmsford. The school is an extremely popular, over-subscribed convertor academy that enjoys an excellent reputation in the local and wider community. We were graded to ‘Good’ in every area by OFSTED in April 2013 and are working towards our goal of becoming a truly great school.
We are extremely proud of the achievements of our students. In 2014, 68% of our students achieved 5 or more A*-C including English and Mathematics. The percentage of students who achieved the expected levels of progress in English and Mathematics was significantly above the national average as was the percentage of students who achieved more than expected progress in these area. We have a large and successful 6th Form and 55% of all grades awarded were awarded at grade A*-B. we are predicting even greater levels of achievement this year.
Working at The Boswells School
Whilst we are extremely proud of our levels of academic achievement, we recognise that this would not be possible without a dedicated, committed and expert teaching staff. As a school, we place the professional development of our staff at the heart of everything we do and we pride ourselves on the following:
- We place a high degree of trust in our teaching staff. We believe that the greatest factor in improving outcomes for our students are the teachers standing in front of them on a daily basis.
- We believe in the professional development of our staff and we expect our teachers to take responsibility for developing their practice and becoming more skilled practitioners
- We don’t do things simply to please OFSTED or the DfE. We do what is right for our students and the wider school community.
- We recognise that teaching can be challenging however we encourage everyone to share good practice and work collectively-we are much more effective when we collaborate and support each other
- Our lesson observations are developmental. We do not grade lesson observations (indeed we stopped doing this long before OFSTED stopped) as we believe the core purpose of any observation is a discussion between professionals about how to develop pedagogy and practice.
- We believe in leadership at all levels and encourage all our teachers to take responsibility for leading in their own classrooms and across the school.
- Professional development is at the heart of performance management and our teaching staff must have an objective that is focused solely on their professional development
Behaviour and Expectations of our students
Behaviour in the school is very good and we have very strong systems to support staff in ensuring that teachers can teach and students can learn without disruption. We believe that students make the best progress in a structured and safe environment. The emphasis on good behaviour lies with our students and we expect them to aspire to excellence in everything they do. In order to achieve this, they need to exhibit the following positive attitudes towards their learning:
- To be they very best they can be in every lesson
- To be punctual to school and to be prepared for every lesson by having the correct equipment
- To be courteous and polite to everyone in the school community and remember that manners count. Saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ are extremely important
- To be fully focused in every lesson
- To complete all Home Learning to the best of their ability and on time
- To show a ‘zest’ for learning by undertaking additional reading or research at home into the work they are doing inside school
- To work collaboratively with their peers in the classroom
- To ask for help when needed
- To move around the site in a calm and purposeful manner
- To show respect to every member of our community regardless of their gender, race, sexuality, beliefs or cultural background
We hope that you find this additional information about our approach useful. If you would like to discuss any aspect of our school with our Headteacher, please do not hesitate to contact him at the school on 01245 264451. Similarly, please contact the school should you wish to visit us prior to submission of your application.