Download this popular two-week Victorians English planning for Year 5 / Year 6, based on studying and performing Victorian poetry. This Victorians poetry planning can be used alongside a Victorians topics or as a standalone unit covering classic poetry.
In this unit, pupils will read and listen to the dramatic poems 'The Kraken' and 'Charge of the Light Brigade' by the Victorian poet Alfred Lord Tennyson, and they will consider how the sounds and language patterns come alive when the poems are read aloud. Children will work towards creating their own poems in the same style and will prepare to perform them aloud.
The aims of the unit for pupils are:
• To listen to classic and narrative poems by a Victorian poet
• To identify poetic devices and to explain their effects
• To research the literary influences of classic Victorian poetry
• To prepare and perform a poem to an audience
• To engage with a poet’s use of imaginative language to create monsters and battle scenes.
The PDF file contains 10 full literacy lesson plans, copies of the poems and all accompanying pupil resources.
SPECIAL OFFER: new TES buyers can use code OUTSTANDINGOCT at checkout to download for free!
If you liked our Victorians Literacy Planning Pack, you may also like:
You may also like:
The Listeners Poetry Planning Pack
Year 6 Performance Poetry Pack
The Raven Poetry Planning Pack