This resource is a presentation with activities about contact theory, the bystander effect and cognitive dissonance. It also contains short biographies of the two co-authors and details of their academic involvement in psychology. The target audience for this resource is learners studying the Scottish National 5 Psychology course (or equivalent).
- Understand the difference between stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination
- Be able to recognise a prejudiced comment
- Ability to respond to prejudiced comment in a constructive way
- Know several effective prejudice reducing strategies
- Understand the basics of contact theory
- Understand the bystander effect and its underlying factors
- Understand cognitive dissonance
In this resource
This resource bundle includes pdf and editable versions of the following:
- Practitioner Notes: contains notes detailing how to deliver the lessons, an activity on ‘Practising Prejudice Reduction’, and a ‘Meet the Psychologists’ section providing a short introduction to the authors of the resource.
- Presentation: a short presentation. Details of use and when to present are included in the Practitioner Notes.
This resource was created as part of Psychology Outreach and Engagement which allows undergraduate psychology students to develop new projects aimed at meeting the needs of local community partners as part of their degree.
This resource was developed in partnership with Craigroyston Community High School, Edinburgh. Lorna Camus, an MA Hons Psychology student and Agniete Pocyte, a BSc Hons Psychology student, produced and delivered the resource with the help of Eric Freund, a teacher at Craigroyston Community High School. We are indebted to Eric, but we would also like to thank his 1A and his 2C classes for their participation and enthusiasm.
To find more Open Educational Resources from the University of Edinburgh, visit open.ed.ac.uk.
Author: Lorna Camus and Agniete Pocyte, adapted by Kay Douglas and Andrew Ferguson.
Unless otherwise stated, all content is released under a CC BY 4.0 license.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have downloaded this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.