Having trouble finding high-quality examples of Year 5 and 6 texts for children to analyse and aspire to? So did I!
These texts were shared-written with my class over the course of a year and contain all of the grammatical features a Year 5 or 6 child is expected to have in their writing - including the Greater Depth statements.
Examples of features include:
- Modal and Passive verbs
- Expanded Noun Phrases
- Prepositional Phrases
- The subjunctive
- Colons and Semi-colons between independent clauses
- Brackets, Dashes and Commas for Parenthesis
- Punctuating direct and indirect speech
These texts were written to engage a reader and I’m confident they’ll engage your class.
The 14 texts include:
- A biography of Michael Faraday
- A biography of Isambard Kingdom Brunel
- A Victorian short narrative
- A spy short narrative
- An information text about Volcanoes
- A description/explanation of a World War spy gadget
- Three dramatic recounts
- A newspaper article
- A dragon-themed factfile
- A non-chronological report of a fictitious creature