This board game is based on the hit title "articulate", with a similar playing style to Taboo!
This game was adapted with a focus on Year 11 GCSE Science, with topics from all 3 science disciplines and is applicable to most exam boards.
This activity acts as a great revision tool for whole classes or small intervention groups to ensure they are familiar with all the key words from across all 3 disciplines.
This activity has also been used as both a starter/plenary for classes in Year 9 --> Year 11 and as a reward at the end of a term!
How to use the resource?
(It does work well if a class set has been printed and laminated in advance of play).
1. Students play the game in pairs (this is good for accommodating larger class sizes). There should be a maximum of 4 pairs to each board game template.
2. Each pair takes it in turns to describe as many key words (corresponding to the colour they are on, on the playing board) to their partner but...
a. You cannot SPELL the word, or say how many letters it has.
b. You cannot SAY any part of the word.
c. You cannot use “rhymes with” or “sounds like".
3. If their partner guesses correctly, these cards are kept to the side and another is picked QUICKLY and described until the time is up!
4. Students count up their number of correct cards and move this number of spaces around the playing board.
5. Students can pass if they are unsure on how to describe the word/can not guess it! This saves time!
6. If students land on a star on the playing board - they need to describe and guess ONLY the words with a star next to them on the playing cards (this is a mixture of words from all 3 science disciplines).
7. The winner is the first pair to move their counter to the finish segment!
Please leave a review/feedback once you've used this resource so it can be adapted for others!
(Note: I do not own any of the rights associated with the playing title/game)