Do you operate a ‘mastery’ classroom? Do your students take too long to recall addition and subtraction facts, or worse, cannot recall them at all? Look no further than this Daily Fluency with Calculations booklet.
This resource has been developed through a proven research-based approach. The sequence of sessions follows a specific sequence which helps children to build upon common techniques of calculation. For example, the first week is as follows:
Day 1: Adding 9
Day 2: Subtracting 9
Day 3: Adding 11
Day 4: Subtracting 11
Day 5: A mixture of adding 9, 10 and 11.
Each week follows a similar structure, with columns of questions conveniently colour coded to help children recognise how much of the session they manage to complete.
For best results:
- Use the PDF file to create an A5 booklet;
- Teach the main strategy for each session using a whole class approach;
- Use a 3-minute timer to allow children to complete the page;
- Allow children to call out their name when they have finished, and tell them their time;
- Allow children to call out the answers in order afterwards as you mark as a whole class, discussing any difficulties or interesting patterns;
- Allow children to complete their own tracking charts at the end of each week, and bar chart on the back cover. This gives them a good feedback about how well they are performing, and also gives them ownership over the process.
The power of this daily approach is truly remarkable, and will have your children recalling their number facts in no time.
Most of our schools reprint this booklet and complete it a second and third time in order to maintain their rapid recall. This can be an important part of creating long term memory of the facts.
Also supplied is a full answers booklet for you to check students answers when they call them out.