I have created fact sheets and worksheets based and adapted from DT unit 2C Winding. It also links History Unit 1‘‘How are our toys different from those in the past?’ Some activities can be linked to Literacy (Reading and Writing, Non-Fiction, Story Telling). The unit can be adapted for a particular class topic.
Through this unit, children learn about the concept of winding mechanisms, building on previous knowledge of wheels and axles. They learn about different mechanical toys and how they have changed over time. They explore how to make winding mechanisms using construction kits, then, after discussion, make their own toy using a winding mechanism out of reclaimed materials.
• Fact Sheet: Wind-Up Toys – What is a wind-up toy?
• Fact Sheet: Wind-Up Toys – A History of Wind-Up Toys
• Diagram: How to make a wind-up mechanism
• Making a glossary of new vocabulary
• Story writing: Write a short paragraph that links to the story
• Draw a picture of each toy (from the past and modern) and label (similarities and differences)
• Put pictures in the correct order (cut and paste) to show how wind-up toys have changed over time
• Draw a win-up toy and label the different parts of the mechanism
• Designing (part 1): illustrate idea and label different parts to show how it will work
• Designing (part 2): list materials, equipment and plan stages of making
• Description: Using stages of making as a reference, write a description (word list)
• Evaluation: evaluate own wind-up toy and make suggestions for improvement
Useful Tip! Use the PDF doc with your IWB to work through the pages with your children :)
Hope that you like and find them useful.
If you have any comments or recommendations to make, please do not hesitate to do so.
For updates go to my Facebook page – Marie’s Teaching Resources
Thanks for looking :)