California Missions Unit – Close Reading – Text Dependent Questions – Going Paperless? This 134 page bundle including interactive Google slides contains everything needed to teach a rigorous unit on the California Missions. This resource is great for Chromebooks, HP Streams, and other devices in a 1:1 classroom. We use file sharing with Google or Microsoft OneDrive. Use these activities to engage students in a whole class, small group, or independent environment. This resource is also perfect for Homeschool students.
This original product is provided through web-based Google file sharing, contained on the Internet 'cloud' and allows you and your students to access, edit, and print files from any computer or device. Students work on their template directly in the file on their device or computer. This product will also work with Microsoft OneDrive (instructions included!)
Common Core aligned and created to facilitate “Depth of Knowledge” (DOK) for your students, this product contains four original CLOSE Reading nonfiction passages that were created for CLOSE reading to teach your students about the California Missions (not familiar with CLOSE reading? It’s okay, we have instructions and anchor charts to help you incorporate it into your teaching). There are text dependent questions aligned with each passage, a set of vocabulary work to accompany each nonfiction text, our best-selling research report on the California Missions. A variety of other graphic organizers and activities are included.
We do encourage you to supplement with any other books, videos, and websites that you already use; they will blend nicely with our CLOSE reading passages. You can use this unit in its entirety, or “pick and choose” the components to meet the needs of your students.
This unit contains the following elements:
• CLOSE reading nonfiction passages with illustrations:
1. Passage One- An Introduction to the California Missions
2. Passage Two- Mission Settlement
3. Passage Three-Mission Life
4. Passage Four- Junipero Serra and the Missionaries
• Vocabulary Exercises and vocabulary cards with definitions for each CLOSE reading passage
• CLOSE Reading Instructions PowerPoint ( or handout) explaining the steps of CLOSE Reading
• Anchor Charts for student annotation and Discussion Topics for CLOSE Reading
• “Text Dependent Questions”, to be used after all passages are read; this is intended as a summative assessment, or practice in citing textual evidence and giving examples from the reading of nonfiction text
• Common Core Essential questions (to be used after all passages are read, can be used as a summative assessment or a performance task)
• California Missions Research Report (BOTH PRINTABLE AND DIGITAL!)