Using the theme of "Worlds Unlike Our Own," the classes engage with the fantasy genre and practice skills that include the following:
- developing and using genre-specific vocabulary
- creating and evaluating catchy openings
- exploring and successfully using a variety of sentences
- being able to use all aspects of a picture prompt to creatively write (while invoking the 5 senses)
- understanding how to use a variety of punctuation for effect
- practicing use of literary devices in creative tasks
- peer and self-evaluation
- evaluating creative writing, especially while using the specimen mark scheme
All of these skills lead to the finale - writing an assessment in the fashion of English Language, Paper 1: Section B.
A complete, comprehensive PowerPoint of 115 slides is included and refers to the following handouts/resources, which are also within this package (PDF and Word doc versions):
- a student-friendly mark scheme (condensed, simplified)
- sentence variety worksheet (student and teacher copy)
- stations activity cut-outs
- first sentences activity cut-outs
- extract for evaluation
- genre-specific spelling list
An introductory guide on how to use this resource is also included. Note: students should have a basis of literary devices prior to beginning this unit. While this will be worked on, they should have a basic understanding of what similes, metaphors, etc. are, and how to identify them. As well, this unit is created with a paper-saving initiative in mind, so the majority of the activities and tasks are slide-based so we can all save a few trees!
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource hasn't been reviewed yet
To ensure quality for our reviews, only customers who have purchased this resource can review it
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.