This resource is best taught after the pupils have read or listened to the first four chapters of Michael Morpurgo’s ‘Private Peaceful’. It contains comprehension exercises regarding the character development of some main characters in the first four chapters. It also deals with the theme in Chapter 4 of ‘An Amazing Event’. In Chapter 4 the kids see a yellow aeroplane and meet its pilot. Pupils are asked to list amazing events from their lifetime and ones they have lived witnessed, before they plan then write about witnessing an amazing event. also included, is a presentation that accompanies the lesson. It can be used with the activities in the lesson, as a starter, a plenary or it can lead to further speaking and listening activities.
Here are the main activities in this unit:
• Listen to/read the 4th chapter of the novel.
• Complete the comprehension challenge regarding 4 characters in 4 chapters.
• Make a list of any amazing events that have happened in your lifetime or that you have witnessed.
• Take part in a class/group discussion about these events.
• Work on a writing plan for describing witnessing an amazing event.
• Write a text about witnessing an amazing event.