A (fast paced) FULL LESSON on sharing and comparing with ratios using with bar modelling and fractions.
Assumed prior knowledge:
- Converting between metric measures.
- Fractions of amounts.
We are learning about: Sharing with ratios.
We are learning to: Use ratios to compare and share amounts.
- Developing learners will be able to share an amount into a given ratio.
- Secure learners will be able to use a ratio to compare given amounts and totals.
- Excelling learners will be able to solve unfamiliar problems using their knowledge of using ratios to compare and share amounts.
Starter: Express ratios as 1:n. Match up equivalent ratios (standard shade in the grid activity).
- 2 examples: (Ex1) finding fractions and ratio in simplest form, (Ex2) Bar modelling to share ratio.
- Standard questions on sharing amounts with bar model provided.
- Two more examples: comparing amounts using the bar model.
- Worded questions increasing in difficulty (with solutions).
Plenary: Combining a:b and b:c to a:b:c.
- Booklet with all questions provided as worksheet to stick in books.
Any feedback is appreciated!