A set of student notes covering the following parts of the specification. To the best of my knowledge from many emails back and forth with Pearson and careful review of the spec and PPQ’s so far.
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Human Biology
Unit 1: Principles of Applied Human Biology
A2 Nervous system
• Sensory, motor and relay neurones.
• Central and peripheral nervous system.
• Transmission of action potential to include:
o the role of sodium and potassium ions in controlling membrane potential
o effect of myelination on transmission speeds.
• Synaptic transmission:
o structure of the synapse, to include:
presynaptic neurone, post synaptic neurone, synaptic cleft
o role of neurotransmitters in synaptic transmission (named examples not required).
• Reflex actions and reflex arcs.
A6 Diagnostic techniques
• Basic methods, equipment, result format, unit of measurement and interpretation for the following diagnostic technique
o assessment of nervous system function through reflex testing and nerve conduction tests.