Massive 3 week writing unit, planned in detail and fully resourced and differentiated. It is pitched at Year 4, but would work equally well in Year 5 or 6 (please see the key skills covered below). For most sessions, there are resources to extend high attainers and resources to support SEN learners. This unit is ready to go!
Three weeks of differentiated resources is a lot of files, so you can’t see it all in the preview. When you buy, please use the zip folder. The contents of the zip are organised into weeks and then into individual lessons (the other files are only there so that people can preview the unit!) . The zip will enable you to navigate your way through the plan and related resources with ease. All resources are PowerPoint and Word, so you will have no issues opening anything - and you can edit to suit your own needs - no PDFs!
There are many, many resources included. Here are a few key examples:
model text (short and long versions);
a story map;
cold task/assessment task;
reading comprehension activities;
noun phrase activities;
fronted adverbial activities;
idea gathering resources;
peer assessment resources;
and many more!
The key objectives covered repeatedly throughout the unit are:
• increasing their familiarity with a wide range of books, including myths and legends, and retelling some of these orally
• asking questions to improve their understanding of a text
• drawing inferences such as inferring characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives from their actions, and justifying inferences with evidence
• I can use a wide range of subordinating conjunctions (when, if, because, although)
• I understand the term ‘adverbial’ and I can use fronted adverbials (with a comma)
• I can choose a variety of nouns and pronouns (to avoid repetition)
• discussing writing similar to that which they are planning to write in order to understand and learn from its structure, vocabulary and grammar
• organising paragraphs around a theme
Evaluate and edit by:
• assessing the effectiveness of their own and others’ writing and suggesting improvements
These have been broken down and written in ‘child speak’ within the planning.
Get this resource as part of a bundle and save up to 45%
A bundle is a package of resources grouped together to teach a particular topic, or a series of lessons, in one place.
Myths and Legends, 10 weeks of fully planned and resourced lessons
I always seem to get the best writing from my class when there are strange creatures and beasts involved. If you do too, I think you'll love these plans and resources. Here are three of my favourite writing units. I have used them in Y4, Y5 and Y6. There is 3 weeks of myth writing, inspired by the traditional story 'The Asrai' (a mysterious lake creature). There is 3 weeks of legend writing, inspired by a short version of 'Beowulf'. There is 3 weeks of legend writing, inspired by a short version of 'Theseus'. There is 1 week of poetry writing, inspired by 'The Kraken'.
It's good to leave some feedback.
Something went wrong, please try again later.
This resource is well worth £7. It is really well put together, loads of excellent resources and really well sequenced. Thank you!!
Thank you for your kind review. Please pick another resource from my shop and I will email it to you, free of charge. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Amazing - highly comprehensive
Report this resourceto let us know if it violates our terms and conditions.
Our customer service team will review your report and will be in touch.