Atlantic Academy Portland
Dorset, United Kingdom
About Atlantic Academy Portland
The Academy became Atlantic Academy in September 2017, joining Aspirations Academies Trust. We are quite unique in that we are a truly ‘all through’ Academy, with all years housed within the same school building. This allows for many opportunities and shared planning chances.
At Atlantic we are passionate about excellence in all aspects of a child’s life, giving students the very best start possible. We have high aspirations, and believe students should:
- Believe in themselves
- Be actively engaged in their learning
- See the connection in what they want to become and what they are doing
- Have disruption free learning
- Have access to a challenging academic curriculum offer
- Not dwell on barriers but seek solutions
Our success so far
We have witnessed a remarkable turnaround in all aspects of the Academy, with the expectations having immediately raised outcomes. The calm and purposeful atmosphere supports all aspects of learning, the mantra of Work Hard, Be Kind permeates throughout the buildings and into the community. The success and recognition has created growing numbers on roll, and next year we expect both reception and Year 7 to be at capacity. We have year groups of 60 in Primary and 120 in Secondary which helps promote the unique and supportive atmosphere at the Academy.
In 2018, after one year as an Academy:
- Top 13 most improved (based on P8) Secondary schools in the country
- 2nd most improved (based on P8) Secondary school in Dorset
- Best performing school in Weymouth and Portland
- Top 1 % of Primary schools (based on combined KS2) in Dorset
- Top 8% Nationally for Reading
- Most progress, and top performing in reading in all Weymouth and Portland schools, 3rd highest performing school in Dorset.
- Moderated progress in Writing,TOP performing school in Weymouth and Portland, 3rd in whole of Dorset.Top 10% of schools nationally
- Top 20% of schools nationally for Maths - Primary
In 2019 we continued on our journey with the successes we had made and further improved our P8 outcomes for our students at KS4 and KS2. Placing us as one of the best secondary schools not just in Weymouth and Portland but in Dorset.
We have several further mantras that support our vision:
‘100% Every day. No Shortcuts’
‘Excellence is a habit’
I felt the students growing sense of ambition as I toured the school. The work that you and your staff are doing to raise aspirations and expectations of behaviour are obviously having affect’- Bradley Simmons HMI, Regional Director South West
The happiness of my children and the progress they are all making is brilliant. This is purely down to excellent teachers who bring out the best in them as little individuals.’- Secondary Parent.
Just been on an action tour of Atlantic Academy wow, what a difference to this time last year! Feeling positive.’- Parent
There is now an air of calm, order and discipline, which was so badly needed, my congratulations for instilling it’- Richard Drax MP