Brentwood Ursuline Convent High School
Essex, United Kingdom
About Brentwood Ursuline Convent High School
Brentwood Ursuline Convent High School is a Roman Catholic state secondary for girls aged 11-16 with a co-educational Sixth Form, situated in Brentwood, Essex. In 2012 it became an academy; the Bishop, the chair of governors and the Diocesan directors are the trustees.
The school was founded in 1900 by Mother Clare, the first Superior of the Brentwood Ursulines. It was established as two schools – St Philomena’s, for poorer children, and St Mary’s – which merged in 1918. As the school grew, new buildings were added. Brentwood Ursuline Convent High School now has nearly 1,200 pupils, of which 190 are sixth-form students.
Dr Richard Wilkin
Values and vision
The motto of the school is "Duty" and its mission is to create a Christian environment in which each student can grow in personality, relationships and skill. The school aims to support pupils to reach their full potential, while ensuring that they are pleasing themselves and God.
“The pupils’ reading, writing and skills in speaking English are of a very high standard; their progress in the subject is outstanding. Standards in mathematics are also high, and the progress made by pupils is good. Leadership and management are outstanding because, since opening as an academy, the headteacher and the senior team have accurately identified the key areas for improvement and taken decisive action to tackle them. Governance has been equally strong; governors have successfully challenged and supported the school to improve.”
'Pupils are able to play an active role in improving their work, guided with skill by the teacher'- Ofsted 2014