Kingston upon Hull, United Kingdom
About Kingswood Academy
**Please scroll to the bottom of this page to view our live vacancies**
Thank you for your interest in working at Kingswood Academy.
Kingswood Academy; is a school rated as ‘Good’ by Ofsted. We are also an academy where on average our students make over a grade more progress, across all subjects, than other students do nationally; placing the academy as the 7th highest performing non-selective school in the country out of 6520 schools.
Our Vision is: 'to deliver world class learning, which places no limits on what young people can achieve' and we are rapidly becoming 'a national beacon of educational excellence in Hull'.
As a national beacon of educational excellence we will ensure that:
- All students leave our academy with first-rate qualifications: Qualifications that ensure all doors remain open, giving our students the platform to compete and thrive on a global stage.
- All students develop exceptional character: Character that exemplifies a true growth mind-set; a phenomenal work ethic; confidence and high levels of grit, resilience and determination; ensuring they are fully prepared to flourish in an ever-changing world.
- All students leave our academy with high levels of cultural and global awareness: Awareness that develops through diverse experiences that enrich our students, enabling them to engage in, empathise with, challenge and debate current affairs beyond their local community.
- All students leave with an array of positive memories that last for a lifetime: Memories that are created from students, staff and our community being fully invested in forging exceptional relationships based on trust, care, high expectations and a passion for genuinely making a difference in their life.
Ultimately our Mission is to ensure that: ‘all students have an inner-belief and ambition to fulfil their dreams and live a happy and successful life.’ We are passionate about our students ‘recognising their academic worth’ and making sure that they are ‘prepared to make bold choices in order to secure places, and thrive, at the most reputable and highest performing colleges, universities and world-class employers.’
Underpinning our vision for educational excellence are our 6 key drivers:
- These aspirational and inspirational core principles are central to everything that we do and were jointly created by students and staff to drive the academy forward. At Kingswood Academy, we live and breathe these key drivers with an unwavering passion and determination to ensure that our students receive the best education; we will not settle for anything but the best, and will not rest until the academy is truly great in all areas.
World-Class Teaching and Learning
We are truly passionate about Teaching and Learning and this is central to everything that we do. We firmly believe that when every teacher:
- Is passionate about changing life chances of young people
- Is passionate about Teaching and Learning
- Truly loves their subject
- Makes learning interesting, fun and relevant
- Knows the detail and nuances of the exam specifications
- Forges excellent relationships with all students
- Is strict but fair
- Is proven and knows how to deliver top notch results
- Is passionate about delivering outstanding learning (every lesson, every day)
- Has a true growth mind-set;
then genuine sustainable school improvement takes place. We are passionate about ensuring every classroom in our academy is filled with this type of teacher.
We are also very proud of our competition-based house system. The aim of the house system is to build teamwork, confidence and community through competition. We see the house system as an ‘activator’, a vehicle to motivate and encourage students to push themselves outside of their comfort zone. There are four houses:
Every student, and every member of staff, is affiliated to one of the houses and they compete to earn points for their house. Students can earn points for good attendance and for making rapid academic progress. They can also earn points by entering house competitions such as: photography, dance, cookery, poetry, chess, talent shows and sports day to name but a few. You name it, we’ve got a competition to enable everyone to get involved. We want every student to gain the confidence and belief to compete and experience what it feels like to be part of a successful team. The house system also exposes our students to team camaraderie, team spirit and having a united mission/goal.
For a fifth year running we are celebrating our best ever GCSE results. Our Progress 8 score was +1.14 up from +0.76 the previous year; meaning that in every subject, our students made over a grade more progress than other students did nationally. Our Attainment 8 score was 56.8, up from 50.0 in 2018, against the National Average of 44.3. This means that students on average achieved between a Grade 5 (good pass) and a Grade 6 in all subjects. 78% of our students also achieved a Grade 4 or higher in both English and Maths, up from 59% the previous year which well above the National Average of 63%. Our disadvantaged students Progress 8 score was +1.15 and our SEN Progress 8 score was +1.29 highlighting that all students achieve well at Kingswood Academy; in line with our key driver of ‘Everyone is valued’. As an Academy, we have the highest expectations of our students, which led to 22% of students achieving Grade 9s in GCSE subjects, up from 12% in 2018, placing these students’ performance in the top 5% of the country.
Our last Ofsted inspection took place in February 2018 where Kingswood Academy was rated ‘good’ in all categories. The Ofsted report was extremely positive and outlines the vast array of improvements which have been made over the last three years on our journey from ‘Inadequate’ to ‘Good’.
- “The school has improved in many ways as a results of the Headteacher’s passionate and determined leadership.”
- “Over time, leaders have worked relentlessly to improve pupils’ outcomes. In the last two years, the progress of pupils has improved significantly, including in mathematics and science. Pupils now make progress that is above others nationally in most subjects.”
- “Disadvantaged pupils and pupils who have SEN and/or disabilities make very good progress in most subjects. The high-quality support for current pupils who have SEN is allowing them to make very good progress.”
- “The quality of teaching has improved and is now good.”
- “There is a strong culture of safeguarding throughout the school. Pupils feel safe and appreciate the genuine care and support offered by teachers and other staff.”
- “The behaviour of pupils is good. Pupils show respect for each other, staff and the school environment”.
- “Pupils’ attendance is now above others nationally.”
- “Governors are ambitious in their expectations of leaders. They make regular visits to the school and have an accurate understanding of its strengths and what needs to be improved.
This Ofsted report, along with our 2019 results, show that Kingswood Academy is now a truly great school. There is still room for further improvement though, and the leadership team and I are not complacent. We will not be satisfied until Kingswood Academy is truly ‘Outstanding’ in all areas and we are working tirelessly with staff, students, parents and governors to ensure we achieve our vision of turning Kingswood Academy into the national beacon of educational excellence that this community deserves.
We welcome visits to the academy, to see the school in action and to discuss this post and your career development opportunities. To book an appointment with the Headteacher please email Cathrine Weightman (PA to the Headteacher) on firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about or academy please visit our website: http://www.thekingswoodacademy.org/
To view all our Ofsted reports please click here
We are proud to be part of Academies Enterprise Trust.
We are a national network of over 60 primary, special and secondary academies. We are passionately committed to inspiring children and young people.
We’ve undergone considerable change over the last two years. Bar the name above the door, everything about AET has changed: our leadership; our governance; our financial controls; our school improvement and our curriculum support.
AET is well on its way to becoming something rather wonderful – we are a family of schools that is dedicated to education that paves the way for our young people go on to lead remarkable lives. And it’s our people who are making that a living and breathing reality in our academies.
Each and every child inspired to choose a Remarkable Life.
To gather and motivate inspirational people committed to delivering an excellent education that launches children into remarkable lives.
BE UNUSUALLY BRAVE
At AET, we choose to be unusually brave. We're not afraid to challenge wrongs, to make the right call, even when it's both unusual and difficult to do so.
DISCOVER WHAT'S POSSIBLE
We are on the search for discovering what's possible. We look to create 'eureka moments' for our students, helping them discover a world of possibilities and opportunities.
PUSH THE LIMITS
We always strive to push the limits. We don't settle for less than excellent and we won't allow our students to either. We resolve to overcome any self-imposed limits.
We commit to being big-hearted. We choose to treat each other with kindness, warmth and care, believing that everybody matters and believing in one another.
AET is also an approved Apprenticeship Training Provider (through the ESFA) which allows us to deliver a wide range of apprenticeship programmes across the Trust and our school network. To find out more about what we offer click here.
We also offer School Direct teacher training programmes across our network. For more information please click here.
To find out more about about AET please visit us at https://sites.google.com/aetinet.org/academies-enterprise-trust/home