Samuel Ryder Academy
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
About Samuel Ryder Academy
The Samuel Ryder Academy is a school at the heart of its community, providing an outstanding educational experience for all its students.
Our ethos is one of challenge, fulfilling potential and both creating and taking full advantage of a wide variety of educational opportunities. We are aiming to be at the cutting edge of educational innovation without losing sight of the traditional values that need to be the bedrock of any successful educational establishment.
As an all-through school, providing education from 4-19 on the same site, the Academy is uniquely placed to ensure the best possible progression for its students as they move through the Key Stages, and to use the best educational practice from primary and secondary phases in order to address their needs at all levels.
By sharing good practice, expertise and high-quality facilities across all ages, the Academy avoids the dips associated with transition and provides challenge for the most able, whilst ensuring extra support for those who need it. In addition, our staff have the opportunity to develop a far better understanding of our students than would normally be possible as they progress through the different stages.
Vision and Values
Central to the vision of the Samuel Ryder Academy is the shared belief of the entire community that our young people have the right to a transformational educational experience that enables them, no matter their starting point, to fulfil their potential and realise their ambitions.
The values of Samuel Ryder Academy are summed up in the ACE: Achievement, Care and Excellence. The ACE underpins everything that we do and provides a secure basis for all we strive to accomplish.
- Achievement in academic, artistic, sporting, cultural and other forms with a focus on teaching and learning.
- Care for students, staff and others beyond the Academy community.
- Excellent standards, manners, honesty, personal integrity and uniform.
Our vision for our school is to produce responsible young people of whom we can all be proud, who have achieved more than they ever believed possible and who are prepared to make a contribution to their local, national and global communities.
High standards in achievement can only come about through a relentless focus on excellent standards of teaching and learning and this is the main focus for the Academy. We continue to concentrate on developing and recruiting the highest quality staff in all areas of the organisation to ensure that students of all ages are stretched, challenged and supported in the classroom, by personalised and innovative teaching approaches. Through the Academy’s partnership with Sir John Lawes, there are opportunities for staff and leaders at both schools to work together and wider opportunities for individuals to take on responsibility across both schools.
We are part of the Sir John Lawes Academies Trust with Sir John Lawes School (SJL) in Harpenden. SJL is a high performing secondary school which has demonstrated a consistent record of improved standards at all levels over many years and was judged to be ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted. Key to this improvement has been a flexible and innovative curriculum which has enabled learners to follow individualised pathways to suit their abilities and aspirations and has raised results whilst lessening disaffection and underachievement.
As a Teaching School, Sir John Lawes has a long-established reputation for excellence in staff development. This is being used at the Samuel Ryder Academy to ensure that our staff benefit from a consistently high quality professional development experience.
Facilities and Resources
Students and staff at the Samuel Ryder Academy benefit from excellent facilities and resources and our specialisms in English and New Technologies further encourage the innovative use of iPad’s, iPods and other technologies across the school.
The Academy’s younger students are primarily housed in brand new purpose-built accommodation which enables them to learn in bright, flexible surroundings designed to create the best possible learning environment. At the same time they are able to make use of the specialist facilities of the Academy’s secondary accommodation, such as the science labs and numerous ICT suites.
All students, but especially the older ones, benefit from the Academy’s existing excellent facilities and also recent developments.
- brand new workshop teaching spaces as well as industry-standard food technology classrooms in design technology
- outstanding sports facilities including the sports hall with purpose-built dance studio, well-equipped gym and brand new indoor swimming pool including changing rooms
- six full-size, well-equipped science laboratories
- a brand new library at the heart of the school as a facility for all students including a flexible ICT suite
- all classrooms have Apple TVs allowing the use of mobile technologies as an aid to teaching
- all students have their own mobile Apple learning device
- the whole site is wireless networked.
Why join us?
- This is a very exciting time to join the Samuel Ryder Academy as we are on a rapid journey of improvement that has seen both our results and student intake increase significantly in the last two years.
- We offer an innovative induction programme and professional development programme both at the Samuel Ryder Academy and across the Trust, recognising that our staff are our most valuable asset and the key to our success.
- There are exceptional facilities across the school and we provide an excellent working environment.
- You will be supported by a highly effective and friendly team that works purposefully together to achieve significant year-on-year improvements
- Our students are motivated and keen to learn in an environment which has a very strong sense of community.
- The work that we do within and beyond the Trust and other alliances provides exciting opportunities that place us at the forefront of teaching and learning and there are excellent professional development opportunities for our staff.
- We are extremely fortunate to have supportive parents and a local community that values the school highly.