St Mary's Catholic High School
Croydon, United Kingdom
About St Mary's Catholic High School
St Mary's Catholic High School is an 11-16, co-educational, comprehensive set in the heart of Croydon. It has been serving the local community since its foundation in 1851. The school prides itself on its diverse and harmonious school community, where students feel safe and well cared for, with leaders who expect all pupils to achieve highly, including those with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) and speakers of other languages who are beginning to learn English.
In the summer of 2022, students at St Mary's achieved outstanding GCSE and vocational examination results, with a Progress 8 score well above both local and national averages. These results were some of the very best in the school's 171 year history. As a result of recent inspections, and performance in public examinations, St Mary's school roll is increasing as parents recognise the quality of education on offer at the school.
In November 2021, Ofsted once again rated the school as 'Good', stating:
"St Mary’s Catholic High School is a deeply caring community. Its pupils and staff live up to their core values of being welcoming, serving others and working hard."
"Pupils like coming to school and enjoy learning. They feel safe here and know that staff go the extra mile to check their whereabouts and well-being."
In December 2021, the Diocesan Section 48 Inspection also rated the school as 'Good', stating:
"The extent to which pupils contribute to and benefit from the Catholic Life of the school is outstanding."
"Pupils derive great benefit from attending this highly inclusive school where pupils feel safe and secure. There is a clear focus from the leadership team on the preferential treatment of the poor and disadvantaged."
Why work for us?
St Mary's Catholic High School is:
- situated in the heart of Croydon
- a seven minute walk from East Croydon Station
- a five minute walk to West Croydon Station
- next to the Croydon Tram system, connecting Wimbledon, Beckenham and the surrounding area
- close to excellent shopping and local amenities
- provides on-site parking for staff.
St Mary's staff benefit from:
- a collaborative approach and positive relationships
- strong strategic leadership
- support from managers and colleagues
- equality of opportunities for staff
- appreciation of staff achievement and contribution
- induction of new staff and ongoing development for ECT
- students' respect for staff and others
- support for career progression
- links with St Mary's University for professional development (10 members of staff have either completed or progressing on the MA in Catholic School Leadership)
- generous local authority pension scheme for support staff.