This lesson and accompanying resources act as a good introduction to English spelling. The PowerPoint goes through what to expect from the lesson, I followed the structure below:
1. How do you feel about spelling? I usually make notes on the blank PowerPoint page the different connotations 'spelling' has for students
2. Common spelling myths- students given a list of common spelling myths as discussion points, students asked if they think the provided statements are true or false. This usually sparks a good discussion with my groups. The PowerPoint slides which follow show which statements are true/false and also gives an in-depth explanation of each.
3. The PowerPoint contains a 10 minute video about the history of the English language (produced by The Open University- available on YouTube) with an accompanying booklet I have designed myself.
4. The booklet guides learners through the different stages of the development of the English language and the different international influences. There are dictionary activities and sentence writing activities throughout.
5. The final activity is a sorting activity where students sort the different words into the correct categories of Viking origin, French origin, Anglo Saxon and Arabic origin.