This year, Chinese New Year will be celebrated on Saturday 25th January 2020
Attached is a Chinese New Year whole school assembly. I used something similar during an OFSTED inspection and the inspectors made a special mention about how interactive, inclusive and enjoyable it was … the school went on to achieve an ‘OUTSTANDING’ report.
Duration of assembly: 15 minutes (approx.)
Included in your purchase is a 24-slide PowerPoint to display and refer to whilst delivering your assembly.
The assembly begins by wishing the children ‘Happy New Year’ in Chinese … ‘Gong Hey Fat Choy!’ (on slide 2).
The rest is as follows:
- Slide 3: Some basic facts about China (ending with the fact that China is famous for Kung Fu).
- Slide 4: A video of Bruce Lee performing some Kung Fu.
- Slide 5: If you have a child(ren) in your school who practices Kung Fu, ask them to perform a small routine in front of the school … there is also some appropriate music on this slide for the child(ren) to perform to … just click on the picture and the music will begin.
- Slides 6 - 9: These slides explain the Chinese Zodiac. It tells the children that it’s the ‘YEAR OF THE RAT’. On Slide 7, there is a link to a short Chinese New Year cartoon for the children to watch.
- Slides 10 - 23: This is a lovely story for you (or some children) to read aloud … it’s about a family preparing for Chinese New Year. On slide 20 there is also a link to a dragon/lion dance video (attached).
- Slide 24: Sing the song ‘Kung Fu Fighting’ (lyrics and music provided).