A card game to develop HOTS (Higher Order Thinking Skills) using climate change in the Alps. Learners
discuss whether a fictional ski instructor should exchange his skis for bicycle wheels. Included in this
guide is ‘Meet the Scientists’, about the real climate scientists. For learners aged 11 to 14.
Educational Level 2 - 3
(SOC 2-12a, SOC 2-13a, SOC 2-14a, SCN 2-20b, SCN 2-20a, MLAN 2-09a, LIT 2-02a, LIT 2-08a, LIT 2-09a)
This resource includes:
- A practitioner guide (PDF and Word versions)
- Details about learning outcomes
- Instructions on running the activities
- Items to be printed off or photocopied to play the game
- A Meet the Scientists section about the real climate scientists who are Richard Fromm, Jack
- Schaeffer and Viktoria Engel.
- Map board for playing the game on
- Presentation 1: Setting the Scene: an introduction to Germany, its language and Richard’s
- Presentation 2: “Where is that place?” - Map skills
- Presentation 3: How to play the Board Game Help Richard decide if he should exchange his
- skis for bicycle wheels.
This resource was created as part of the School of GeoScience Outreach.
Author: Kay Douglas.
Unless otherwise stated, all content is released under a CC BY 4.0 license.