This lesson (which can be used as two) was made for GCSE Edexcel RS Paper 1: Religion and Ethics through Christianity - Section 2 Marriage and the Family, although it can be adapted for any lesson on gender roles.
Key Terms: Gender Roles. Gender Prejudice. Gender Discrimination. Denominations. Evaluate.
- The powerpoint starts by focusing on gender roles within society at large through a cardsort.
- It then flows on to what Traditional Protestants such as the Brethren Church, Liberal Christians such as The Church of England, and Roman Catholics believe about gender roles by students teaching themselves one of the beliefs using an info sheet, and then they teach it to two other students. This checks that they know it, understand it and can therefore teach it.
- Mini-whiteboards are used for Q&A to assess progress.
- Students then use this information acquired to write a d-style answer which shows that they can apply their knowledge and understanding to the exam.
- Students peer mark their answers.
The information sheets provided for students have two levels of challenge so that those with less confidence/ability can start with the more basic information and then add to this with more detail.
There are also writing frames provided for less able and SEN students, and Stretch Tasks for the more able.