This lesson is perfect for prompting class discussions on the topic of art. Beginning with reading and comprehension exercises on Vincent van Gogh, this lesson will encourage students to express their opinions on his art, and then test student’s reading, writing, and listening skills through challenging activities.
I designed this lesson for intermediate/upper intermediate English class, but the lesson plan and materials (both included) can easily be adapted for other English language, visual arts, or art history classes.
Any of the worksheets can be set as homework, used in a classroom, or in a one-to-one tutoring lesson. PDF, Word, Pages, and PowerPoint documents included for easy editing.
This resource includes:
- Teacher’s PowerPoint with Activity Outlines and Answers [11 slides]
- Complete Lesson Plan [Procedure / Activity Guidelines / Teaching Tips]
- Lesson Plan ‘Front Page’ [Outline of Lesson Aims & Anticipated Problems/Solutions]
Student Resources / Worksheets:
- Worksheet 1 - Lead In / Class Discussion Prompt with van Gogh’s Artwork
- Worksheet 2 - Biography of Vincent van Gogh [Text]
- Worksheet 3 - Key Vocabulary [Definitions]
- Worksheet 4 - Match the Dates with the Biographical Information [Reading Activity]
- Worksheet 5 - Comprehension Questions [Reading Activity & Listening Activity]
- Worksheet 6 - Post-Impressionist Overview & Which One is van Gogh? [Speaking Activity]
- Worksheet 7 - Choose an Artwork to Write About [Writing Activity / Homework]
Activity answers are included on the PowerPoint
Separate worksheets with UK and US spelling