This resource has been designed to motivate students whilst they evaluate their understanding of the content in modules 1, 2, 3 and 5 of the OCR A-level Biology A specification which can be assessed in PAPER 1 (Biological processes). The resource includes a detailed and engaging Powerpoint (149 slides) and is fully-resourced with differentiated worksheets that challenge the students on a wide range of topics.
The resource has been written to include different types of activities such as exam questions with explained answers, understanding checks and quiz competitions. The aim was to cover as much of the specification content as possible but the following topics have been given particular attention:
- Monosaccharides, disaccharides and polysaccharides
- Glycogen and starch as stores and providers of energy
- The homeostatic control of blood glucose concentration
- Ultrafiltration and selective reabsorption
- Diabetes mellitus
- Voluntary and involuntary muscle
- The autonomic control of heart rate
- The organisation of the nervous system
- The gross structure of the human heart
- Haemoglobin and the Bohr shift
- The ultrastructure of plant cells
- Cyclic vs non-cyclic photophosphorylation
- Oxidative phosphorylation
- Anaerobic respiration in eukaryotes
Helpful hints and tips are given throughout the resource to help students to structure their answers. This resource can be used in the lead up to the actual Paper 1 exam or earlier in the course when a particular area of modules 1, 2, 3 or 5 is being studied.
If you are happy with this resource, why not look at the one which has been designed for Paper 2 (Biological diversity)?