This is a fully-resourced lesson which uses exam-style questions, engaging quiz competitions, quick tasks and discussion points to challenge students on their understanding of the content of topics P1 - P6, that will assessed on PAPER 5. It has been specifically designed for students on the Edexcel GCSE Combined Science course who will be taking the FOUNDATION TIER examinations but is also suitable for students taking the higher tier who need to ensure that the fundamentals are known and understood.
The lesson has been written to cover as many specification points as possible but the following sub-topics have been given particular attention:
- Factors affecting thinking and braking distance
- The 7 recall and apply equations tested in PAPER 5
- The units associated with the physical factors challenged in PAPER 5
- Recognising the motions represented by different motions on velocity-time graphs
- Using a velocity-time graph to calculate acceleration
- Resultant forces
- Sound waves as longitudinal waves
- The electromagnetic waves
- Using significant figures and standard form
- The relative charges and masses of the particles in an atom
- Recognising isotopes
- Using the half-life of radioactive isotopes
- The development of the atomic model
In order to maintain challenge whilst ensuring that all abilities can access the questions, the majority of the tasks have been differentiated and students can ask for extra support when they are unable to begin a question. Step-by-step guides have also been incorporated into the lesson to walk through students through some of the more difficult concepts such as half-life calculations.
Due to the extensiveness of this revision lesson, it is estimated that it will take in excess of 3 teaching hours to complete the tasks and therefore this can be used at different points throughout the course as well as acting as a final revision before the PAPER 5 exam.