This resource contains an interactive and visual PowerPoint Lesson on using semi-colons appropriately in writing
• To link two related sentences / independent clauses.
• In complex lists.
• In sentences containing conjunctive adverbs
It contains explanations, examples and opportunities for pupils to practise placing semi-colons appropriately.
Other Colon and Semi-Colon Resources.
A succinct punctuation mat with explanations and examples of when and how to use colons and semi-colons.
An interactive PowerPoint lesson on using the colon to:
• introduce an explanation / example
• introduce lists in sentences
• introduce bulleted / numbered lists in sentences
• emphasise a phrase or single word at the end of a sentence
• introduce quotations
Contains set of 7 worksheets on semi-colons.
Tasks include using semi-colons in:
• linking two related sentences
• complex lists
• sentences containing conjunctive adverbs
• correcting sentences containing semi-colons
• composing complex lists and using semi-colons in sentences
This resource contains a set of 9 worksheets on using colons.
Tasks include using colons to:
- expand or illustrate an independent clause
- introduce lists in sentences
- introduce bulleted, numbered or lettered lists
- introduce quotations
- to emphasise a word or phrase at the end of a sentence
This resource contains a set of 7 worksheets on semi-colons.
Tasks include using colons in:
• linking two related sentences / independent clauses.
• complex lists.
• sentences containing conjunctive adverbs.
• correcting sentences containing semi-colons.
• composing complex lists and using semi-colons in related sentences.