This pack contains a 26 slide Powerpoint that introduces the concept of speed to KS3 students, a worksheet containing two short extension opportunities for students, and an activity that coincides with the final few slides of the Powerpoint.
The resources start at an incredibly basic level and work through a number key mathematical skills such as:
- Converting between units of time
- Converting between units of distance
- Rearranging the formula for speed
- Unpicking an exam question to find the numbers within the clutter
The resources can be used across multiple lessons (It took 3 hour long lessons to complete with my class) but could easily be sped up depending on the ability of the students.
The lesson objectives for the pack are:
- For students to be able to solve simple speed related mathematical problems.
- For student to be able to convert between units of speed and distance.
- For students to be able to rearrange the speed formula to solve simple distance and time problems.
The Powerpoint introduces the topic in bite-size chunks with plenty of examples and questions to ease students into learning, and finishes with a range of mixed style questions, real world applications (train timetable activity), and a short competition to consolidate the learning of students whilst also promoting a competitive and enjoyable atmosphere within the classroom.
The pack could be used to introduce the topic to KS3 students or be used as a quick reminder for older students during revision.