This unit is focused on identifying the key social skills and empathy required to be successful in working with others in a safe and respectful way. By learning to work together, regardless of individual differences, students build empathy and show kindness towards others. These are essential life skills for all people. This unit of work allows students who struggle with some or all these areas, to make substantial progress in these vital skills as they regularly practice them in a safe and supportive team building environment.
Positive and respectful relationships occur when all parties feel respected, secure and supported in their interactions with one another. Positive relationships might look different between peers, between educators and children, between educators and families, and within families themselves. However, some common aspects include relationships where all parties:
• listen to others’ needs and are respectful of their beliefs and values, even if they don’t share them
• can be honest with each other
• feel supported, encouraged and valued as they are
• feel safe from any form of abuse or put-downs
• plan and make decisions collaboratively
• show empathy and feel understood, trusted and that they’re being treated fairly.